I’m a PhD candidate in computational linguistics at UC Berkeley, advised by Terry Regier. I divide my time between research, teaching and consulting.
My research involves modeling temporal semantics using neural networks. I teach natural language processing and data science using Python at UC Berkeley’s D-Lab. Also through D-Lab, I offer free consulting on natural language processing and Python to UC Berkeley’s community.
I studied lingiustics, classics and Arabic at the University of Melbourne. Before my undergraduate degrees, I taught English in Grosseto and Paris for a year. As a language learner, I’ve studied French, Italian, Arabic, Latin, Ancient Greek, Sanskrit and Middle Egyptian. As a linguist, I’ve worked on CiShigini, Somali, South Efate and Tswefap.
I’m from Melbourne, Straya.
- 29th Nov ‘18 - Invited presentation on NLP for Digital Humanities Working Group
- 16th Nov ‘18 - Invited lecture on NLP for biomedical research at UCSF
- 31st Oct ‘18 - Presenting “Probing sentence embeddings for structure-dependent tense” at BlackboxNLP workshop at EMNLP
- 19th Oct ‘18 - Presenting on Pater (2018) and responses in Language and Cognition lab
- 16th Oct ‘18 - Joined TextXD organizing committee
- 25th Sep ‘18 - We’re hiring a data science postdoc at D-Lab!
- 05th Sep ‘18 - Moderated a panel on “What I wish I knew in grad school” for Beyond Academia
- 29th Aug ‘18 - Invited presentation on data science for Goldman School of Public Policy’s China Big Data program
- 17th Aug ‘18 - Interviewed by KQED on using NLP to identify hate speech
- 19th Jun ‘18 - Invited lecture on practical sentiment analysis in Digital Humanities program
- 08th Jun ‘18 - Presentation on autograding libraries for Division of Data Sciences
- 18th May ‘18 - Invited panelist on using NLP to identify hate speech at RightsCon in Toronto
- 03rd Apr ‘18 - Consultation on topic modeling for MOAD
- 12th Mar ‘18 - Invited presentation on data science for humanists in Ethnomusicology group
- 08th Mar ‘18 - Invited lecture on text classification for Data Scholars
- 22nd Feb ‘18 - Invited talk on identifying hate speech on social media platforms at ICSI